Rollcage: Thanks C&B and Cartesian

As promised, here is a picture of the new rollcage, featuring Terry. The major changes are the angled front bar, more robust mounting plates, and additional bars in the sides and rear. We’d like to thank C&B Welders for helping us with welding the cage. They did a great job …

Gluing the ribs in!

Earlier this week, we bolted the suspension cage and rollcage to the ribs, in order to align the ribs properly in the car. Then, on Saturday we glued the ribs down onto the shell and did a carbon fiber layup over them to add strength. We made a chamfer at …

We found a bird!!!

Last Saturday, in the middle of our work session, a bird suddenly flew and/or fell into the Autobay while the garage door was open! It looked sick or injured and Alex Chambers took care of it, giving it meager accommodations in an empty plastic storage box, before animal control was …

Big Thanks to Cutting Edge Water Jet!

We went to Cutting Edge Water Jet in South Beloit to get our carbon fiber structural ribs cut out. Cutting Edge’s waterjet process can cut parts of practically any material up to 144″ x 144″ in size, and causes no heat damage or warping. They also have other capabilities such …

Incoming!

We got two very big shipments in recently. The first is the carbon fiber panel we will cut out using a waterjet to make the new structural ribs of our car, provided by ACP Composites. It’s still in its box and we didn’t want to take it out before we …

Out with the Old, Part 3: Finale

We’ve finished removing the old structural ribs off the bottom shell. One of our advisors, Dana, found that a great way to do this was by applying a heat gun to the ribs and lifting it off the shell with a chisel. The prepreg carbon bottom shell was unaffected by …

Boeing Grant

We are very lucky to have learned today that we received support from The Boeing Company through a grant we recently applied for. This grant will help us replace aging or damaged equipment, like our vacuum pump and generator. In addition, we hope to acquire new electronics equipment, such as …

Carbon Fiber Testing

We have been testing carbon fiber panels that we purchased from ACP Composites. We plan to use their pre-made carbon fiber-honeycomb panels for more consistent material performance, and to avoid unnecessary labor. Here are some of the tests we have been doing: This T-joint bond (done with Textreme) failed at …

Recent Happenings

The old structural ribs have mostly been removed from the body. All that’s left is to get the surface flat again. The electrical team has been working on getting car telemetry set up so we can see the car’s stats (like battery usage and charge, speed, temperatures) in real time. …

Out With the Old, Part 2

Last weekend, we continued the process of removing the old structural ribs. We used a dremel this time to get a little closer cut, still without damaging the body of the car. In the video below, taken earlier during the work session, we were using a metal tool. Later on …